Our Team « Back to Team Page » Print This Page
Baxter R. Morgan
Baxter Morgan is a partner with Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP, where he focuses on regulatory, compliance, and transactional matters impacting the healthcare industry. Mr. Morgan advises hospitals and governmental entities in the development, implementation, and operation of Medicaid supplemental payment programs. He also assists hospitals in remedying the systematic underpayment of reimbursement claims by insurance companies.
Mr. Morgan has successfully represented hospital providers in disputes regarding contractual underpayments against some of the nation’s largest managed care organizations. Mr. Morgan currently aids healthcare providers in Texas and Louisiana with the operation and maintenance of Medicaid supplemental payment programs. Mr. Morgan has also helped numerous providers negotiate complex contractual questions concerning physician compensation, real estate transactions and contract negotiations. Mr. Morgan has also:
- Advised Texas hospitals related to their participation in state and local indigent care programs, as well as the 1115 Medicaid Transformation Waiver and its associated Uncompensated Care and Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment programs.
- Assisted hospitals in several states to form non-profit corporate entities, maintain these entities in compliance with state law, and secure appropriate licensure for these entities’ provision of healthcare services.
- Drafted agreements between hospitals, physicians, and other heathcare organizations, for business transactions and to comply with federal requirements under the Stark Act and Anti-Kickback laws.
- Represented Hospital providers actions to recover underpayments by managed care organizations in breach of their contractual obligations to hospitals and to patients.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Morgan was an associate at an Austin-based civil litigation firm where he gained extensive experience representing individuals, businesses, and municipalities in a range of civil cases. His prior experience includes contract disputes, employment law, negligence claims, commercial and residential real estate disputes, legal and professional malpractice defense and , insurance coverage. Mr. Morgan previously served as an Assistant Attorney with the Texas Office of the Attorney General where he represented the state in constitutional challenges to state-felony convictions litigated in federal court. Mr. Morgan was named to the Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars list each year from 2014 through 2018.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2005. Served on the Review of Litigation as Notes Editor (Volume 24) and Staff Editor (Volume 23)
- The University of Georgia, B.A., summa cum laude, 2002. Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi