Our Team « Back to Team Page » Print This Page
Rachel O. Gilbert
Rachel Gilbert is a partner with Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP. Ms. Gilbert focuses on assisting hospitals in a variety of regulatory, transactional, financial and business matters, with a focus on Medicaid reimbursement programs. Ms. Gilbert advises healthcare providers regarding compliance with federal and state regulations governing Medicaid participation and reimbursement, and advises healthcare providers on the impact of proposed state and federal legislation or administrative rule changes affecting Medicaid participation and reimbursement. Ms. Gilbert works with clients in several states, assisting in their efforts to implement, operate and maintain collaborations between public and private healthcare providers under their respective Medicaid State Plans, which often involves drafting corporate documents and contracts to implement business acquisitions and develop new hospital ventures, as well as working with community and institutional stakeholders to develop successful programs.
Ms. Gilbert also:
- Assists clients throughout Texas with participation in the recently implemented Medicaid 1115 Demonstration Waiver program. Ms. Gilbert’s work in this practice area includes assisting Texas hospital providers in drafting and implementing comprehensive healthcare reform projects as part of the Texas Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment program, and creating strategies for maximizing healthcare providers’ access to payments for the unreimbursed cost of treating Medicaid-eligible and uninsured patients in their communities.
- Represents several Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospitals in Texas, and assists in the analysis and synthesis of the requisite data entitling her clients to supplemental Medicaid payments. Possesses extensive knowledge regarding Medicaid provider taxes as a source of Medicaid funding, as well as Medicaid managed care principles and practices in several states.
- Advises clients regarding Stark Law, Medicare cost-reporting principles, 340B drug program participation, and Critical Access Hospital designation.
Prior to joining Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP, Ms. Gilbert worked as a healthcare staff attorney in North Carolina where she assisted in litigating two federal class action lawsuits on behalf of Medicaid beneficiaries before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina and the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. Since joining Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP, Ms. Gilbert has also represented a healthcare provider in a successful arbitration action against a managed care organization, addressing systemic underpayment of claims.
- University of Edinburgh School of Law, LLM in International Law, with Distinction, 2011
- Maclagan Prize Recipient, awarded for highest marks in Medical Jurisprudence
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Executive Editor, Texas Journal of Women and the Law
- National Quarterfinalist, 2010 American Association for Justice Student Trial Advocacy Competition
- North Carolina State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2006
- Phi Beta Kappa
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Austin Young Lawyer’s Association