Our Team « Back to Team Page » Print This Page
Baxter R. Morgan
Baxter Morgan is a partner with Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP, where he focuses on regulatory, compliance, and transactional matters impacting the healthcare industry. Mr. Morgan advises hospitals and governmental entities in the development, implementation, and operation of governmental payment programs. Mr. Morgan also assists institutional healthcare providers with regulatory oversight of their payments through audits, government inquiries, and administrative reviews in various tribunals around the country. Mr. Morgan has assisted hospital providers with concerns regarding purported false claims and other whistleblower actions. Mr. Morgan also counsels physician groups in a broad array of corporate, transactional, and regulatory concerns. Mr. Morgan has represented hospital providers in disputes regarding contractual underpayments against some of the nation’s largest managed care organizations.
Mr. Morgan’s primary focus is the area of government reimbursement, where he:
- Works with healthcare providers in Texas and Louisiana with the development, operation, and maintenance of Medicaid supplemental payment programs.
- Represents Texas hospitals related to their participation in state and local indigent care programs, the 1115 Medicaid Transformation Waiver, and associated Uncompensated Care (UC) and Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) programs.
- Advises numerous hospitals on Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) funding qualification, compliance, ongoing reporting, audits, and appeals.
- Assists Texas hospital providers with the operation of the Uniform Hospital Rate Increase Program (UHRIP).
- Counsels hospitals regarding their charity care policies and related cost reporting implications.
Mr. Morgan has also helped hospital and physician providers negotiate complex questions concerning physician compensation, real estate transactions, and general contract issues. He has formed and maintained non-profit entities related to the provision of healthcare services. Mr. Morgan has drafted agreements between hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare organizations to comply with federal requirements under the Stark Act and Anti-Kickback laws. Mr. Morgan’s practice also assists hospital providers in the recovery of underpayments by managed care organizations in breach of their contractual obligations to hospitals and patients.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Morgan was an associate at an Austin-based civil litigation firm where he gained extensive experience representing individuals, businesses, and municipalities in a range of civil cases. From 2005 through 2008, Mr. Morgan also served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Texas Office of the Attorney General. Mr. Morgan has been included in the Thompson Reuters publication Super Lawyers: Texas Rising Stars in each edition of that publication from 2014 through 2019.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2005. Served on the Review of Litigation as Notes Editor (Volume 24) and Staff Editor (Volume 23)
- The University of Georgia, B.A., summa cum laude, 2002. Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi