Our Team « Back to Team Page » Print This Page
Andrew D. Whalen
Andrew Whalen is an associate with Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP. Drawing on his background in litigation, Mr. Whalen helps healthcare clients navigate risks in complex transactions and ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. His work centers on understanding the healthcare industry’s mosaic of interacting legal rules with a focus on real-world client outcomes. In particular, Mr. Whalen’s experience includes:
- Assisting industry stakeholders to design, implement, and operate federally approved, state-directed managed care rate enhancement programs to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars for hospitals providing care to low income and needy patients;
- Advising clients on federal anti-kickback laws and Stark law compliance;
- Modeling clients’ reimbursement impact as the law evolves due to litigation, legislation, or regulation;
- Advising hospitals on reshaping their charity care and financial assistance policies to better reflect their operational goals; and
- Drafting agreements between physicians, hospitals, managed care organizations, and other healthcare organizations.
Before joining Gjerset & Lorenz, Mr. Whalen litigated high-stakes cases worth tens or hundreds of millions of dollars and involving some of the world’s largest corporations. Utilizing his analytical, research, and writing skills honed in the adversarial system, Mr. Whalen methodically explores all avenues for solving clients’ problems and delivers concrete solutions.
- Stanford Law School, Juris Doctor, 2015
- Board Member of the Stanford Journal of Complex Litigation and the Stanford Technology Law Review
- University of Oregon, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, 2012
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Texas Health Lawyers Association
- Austin Bar Association