Our Team « Back to Team Page » Print This Page
Lance J. Ramsey
Lance Ramsey is a partner with Gjerset & Lorenz, LLP. Lance has extensive experience representing public, non-profit, and investor-owned hospitals on a broad range of financing issues. Lance’s practice focuses on accessing Medicaid funding to reimburse hospitals for the costs associated with treating the uninsured and underinsured patient populations. In this capacity, Lance works on behalf of his clients in collaboration with industry and government stakeholders to design and operationalize Medicaid supplemental reimbursement programs, through restructuring of Medicaid financing mechanisms, such as intergovernmental transfers, certified public expenditures, and healthcare-related taxes. Lance also counsels clients on numerous reimbursement-related matters, regulatory compliance issues, and appeals of state and federal reimbursement audit determinations.
Prior to law school, Mr. Ramsey served as a law clerk to the Hon. Harry Lee Hudspeth, Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
In the Government Reimbursement area, Lance:
- Develops supplemental Medicaid programs in Texas, Florida, and Arizona for over 200 hospitals and in more than two dozen communities to obtain federal matching funds for services provided to Medicaid, uninsured, and indigent patients.
- Represents hospitals in Pennsylvania, Texas, New Mexico, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Florida in appeals related to Medicaid DSH hospital specific limits before state Medicaid agencies and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Advises numerous hospitals regarding the government program reimbursement impact of commercial transactions, such as corporate acquisitions, mergers, and divestitures.
In the Administrative Litigation area, Lance:
- Represented a group of intervenors in state Medicaid agency’s action against CMS in HHS Departmental Appeals Board proceedings, contesting disallowance of federal funds on behalf of interested clients.
- Negotiated and implemented innovative partnership agreements between private and public providers on behalf of large non-profit hospital systems.
- Defended large non-profit hospital in Medicaid supplemental reimbursement investigation, reducing potential repayment liability by over $250 million.
- Represented hospitals in CMS deferral actions and OIG investigations related to Medicaid supplemental payments.
In the Managed Care area, Lance:
- Served as lead counsel in a lawsuit involving hundreds of claims from 14 hospitals, from an insurer that failed to pay for high-cost pass-through items.
- Served as co-counsel in Georgia case of first impression relating to hospital entitlement to contractual fee schedules even when negotiated rates exceed state fee guidelines.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1996
- Associate Editor of The Review of Litigation
- Dean’s Achievement Award for Academic Excellence in Employment Discrimination
- University of North Texas, B.A., 1992
- Seedling Foundation, Board Member
- Old Baldy Club, Board Member
- Hannon Cup Association, General Counsel
- Austin Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- AHLA, Medicaid Supplemental Reimbursements, Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD
- HMO Managed Care Law: Health Care Arbitration in Texas - State Bar of Texas
- Medicaid DSH, UPL and Other Reimbursement Mysteries Reveals, Texas Association for Healthcare Financial Administration, Horseshoe Bay, TX
- The Changing Medicaid Landscape, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Houston, TX